Famous May 10th Births
Those born on May 10th share this anniversary with the following famous personalities:
- Marcus Aurelius Claudius, Roman Emporer was born in 213 BC. Of barbarian stock, possibly from the area now known as Serbia. It is alleged that he murdered his predecessor Gallienus.
- Sir Dudley North, English Economist, born in 1641.
- John Wilks Booth, actor and assassin of President Abraham Lincoln was born in 1838.
- Fred Astaire, famed for his terpsicorian (dancing) skills often with partner Ginger Rogers was born in 1899 in Omaha, Nebraska. Screen classics in which he performed include Daddy Longlegs and Flying Down to Rio.
- Dennis Thatcher, business man and husband of Margaret Thatcher was born in 1915.
- Maureen Lipman, English actress was born in 1944 in Kingston upon Hull in Yorkshire, England.
- John Diamond, journalist, was born in 1953.
- Sid Vicious of the Sex Pistols was born in 1957
- Linda Evangelista, Canadian supermodel was born in 1965.
- English comic Al Murray was born in 1968
Noteworthy Events that Occurred on May 10th Over the Centuries
- Amerigo Vespucci allegedly left Cadiz on his voyage to the New World in 1497. Did he discover America or was it Christopher Columbus, Geonoese explorer who should be credited with discovering America in 1492? In any case Vespucci is the one whose name stuck.
- Louis XV! became King of France in 1774. Arrested during the Revolution of 1792, he was executed on the Guillotine. At the Age of 15 he married Marie Antoinette and at the age of 19 he succeeded to the throne when his Grandfather, Louis XV died.
- The National Gallery opened in London in 1824.
- Victoria Woodhull becomes the first woman to run for President of the United States in 1872.
- Romania declares independence from the Ottoman (Turkish) Empire in 1877. It was formed from the merged states of Moldova, Wallachia, Transylvania, Bukovina and Bessarabia. It was assumed into the USSR. After Romania regained independence for 10 years it joined the European Union on January 1st 2007.
- Mother’s Day was celebrated for the first time in the United States in 1908 in Grafton, West Virginia.
- J. Edgar Hoover was appointed Head of the Federal Bureau of Investigation in 1924 and remained in this office until his death in 1972.
- The Nazis begin to impose censorship and staged huge book burnings in 1933.
- Winston Churchill was appointed Prime Minister of Great Britain in 1940 after the resignation of Neville Chamberline whose appeasement policy had failed.
- Bill Haley and the Comets release “Rock Around the Clock” in 1954.
- Nelson Mandela inaugurated at South Africa’s first black president in 1994.
Noteworthy Deaths that Occurred on 10th May over the Centuries
- 1818 Paul Revere, American Patriot
- 1863 Stonewall Jackson American Civil War Confederate General
- 1977 Joan Crawford, American actress
National Days and Saints Days Observed on May 10th
May 10th is Confederate Memorial Day in North Carolina and South Carolina and Mothers Day in Guatamala, El Salvador and Mexico.
Saints Days include St. John of Avila, spanish jewish convert, and St. Alphius, 3rd Century AD martyr.